The basketball legend, Bill Russell passed away on Sunday, July 31, 2022, at the age of 88. Bill had many identities throughout his career life including an N.B.A. player, a coach of N.C.A.A, and an activist in society. Let’s review the highlights of his champion life and let us always remember him and his spirit properly! Recommendations such as a customized heart photo necklace and a Basketball NBA pendant and chain are great gifts to memorize the fallen star.
He Was More Than A Legend on NBA Field
Being voted as the greatest player in N.B.A. history might be one of his most famous glories, but there are much more. (before LeBron James and Michael Jordan entered the field) Bill Russell was a legend in his basketball career, as well as an enthusiastic activist on and off the court who got rewarded by President Obama.
Barack Obama rewarded Bill Russell with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in the East Room of the White House in February 2011. He spoke about Russell’s record 11 NBA titles played for Boston Celtics to all of the attendance, but he is above and beyond many players in history. Russell was recognized nationally again, but this time for his contribution to the society at age of 78, exactly 10 years from today.
Nevertheless, Russell’s life outside of his athletic accomplishments was what impressed Obama the most: standing up for Muhammad Ali, marching with Martin Luther King Jr., and rejected to attend a game in Kentucky after one of his Black teammates was refused service at a coffee shop.
Obama said in 2011, “He endured insults and vandalism, but he kept on focusing on making the teammates who he loved better players and made possible the success of so many who would follow,” “And I hope that one day, in the streets of Boston, children will look up at a statue built not only to Bill Russell the player but Bill Russell the man.”
His coach Red Auerback said he was “the single most devastating force in the game’s history.”
You Will Be Always In Our Heart: Heart Photo Necklace
Bill Russel is on his way to meet Michael Jordan in heaven and we must never forget him and what he taught us throughout his life. A great way to memorize and mourn his absence is putting your favorite photo or favorite quotes of him to always remind yourself.
Bill Russell’s Famous Quotes
- “Learning is a daily experience and a lifetime mission. I truly believe in the saying ‘We work to become, not to acquire.’”
- “If a guy pays you $5, you give him $7 worth of work.”
- “The most important measure of how good a game I played was how much better I’d made my teammates play.”
- “Success is a result of consistent practice of winning skills and actions. There is nothing miraculous about the process. There is no luck involved.”
- “The magic to a great meeting is all of the work that’s done beforehand.”
- “To me, the most important part of winning is joy. You can win without joy, but winning that’s joyless is like eating in a four-star restaurant when you’re not hungry. Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight, that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best”
More basketabll NBA chains and pendants are available.